I offer a free 30 minute consultation, so that you have a chance to meet me, ask questions, learn more about therapy, and decide if you think that I am the right therapist for you.
I believe that the most important part of therapy is the relationship between you and me, since the quality of our relationship has significant impact on how successful we are in our work together. So, a free consultation is a great way for you to get a sense of how you and I will fit together, without any financial obligation or paperwork to fill out.
While the free consultation is not a therapy session, you can feel free to share as much or a little as you feel comfortable. If, from our consultation, you or I do not feel like I am not the right therapist for you, I would be happy to support you around finding someone who is a better match.
You may want to consider discussing the following questions during our consultation, or a first meeting with any therapist:
- What is your approach to therapy?
- What state license do you have that entitles you to practice therapy?
- How many years of experience do you have as a therapist?
- What have been your experiences working with people who have issues similar to mine?
- Do you receive any clinical supervision or consult with another therapist when you are feeling stuck?
- What is your protocol for contact in-between sessions?
Questions you may want to ask yourself about the first meeting:
- Do you feel heard by the therapist?
- Do you feel respected by the therapist?
- Do you feel comfortable with the therapist?
- Is the therapist passive or active? What do you like better?
- Does it seem like the therapist will be open to hearing about all your feelings, including difficult feelings?
- Does this seem like a safe place to express your thoughts, concerns and feelings?